Tuesday 23 April 2024

April Strategy: Europe's turn to outperform?

 


You can discern from my Portfolio page that I am overweight UK and European equities which has resulted in underperformance in the past. It is not because my UK/Euro equities lost money (they are also overall green thanks to my top Euro holdings being ETFs, Financials and Commodities). It is that I tended to pick Euro stocks that are supposed to be boring dividend payers rather than growth stocks with higher expected capital gain.

While I have Vodafone in the red, it has not been one of my top holdings though I have been adding to it after it crashed further, as I had mentioned in an earlier blogpost).

I was cheered by the fact that European markets have moving up slowly and steady with the UK FTSE 100 hitting a record. 




As a result, there appears to be a marked divergence between my portfolio performance and Vanguard World. I predict that our local forums and maybe even some local bloggers will start posting about investing in European stocks (eg: late to the party / FOMO sort of posts like "XXX has risen 100%, should you still invest???")

However, I will never underestimate the power of the S&P500, which means that I will continue to put at least 50% of my free cash flow into World/US ETFs.




No comments:

Post a Comment