Friday 19 July 2024

Nike Pegasus 40 (and Nike Stock) on sale

 


When it comes to buying sports equipment , one simple rule of thumb is wait for the new model to come out so that you can buy the old model at a steep discount.💸

With Nike Pegasus 41 just released in Singapore, I managed to pick up a Pegasus 40 in a nice colour for $65.94. Readers will know I managed to pick up a Pegasus 39 previously for $59 but in a not so nice colour.

At these prices, there is really no comparable running shoe from the other brands. 

How steep a discount actually depends on the brand. So far, I've only seen Nike offering 40% discounts for the immediate past model. If its a 40% discount for a model that is many generations ago, it means it has been sitting in a warehouse for many years and you don't know how long the shoe foam will last.


Nike Stock?


Finally, I wonder whether I should buy Nike stock. As the YTD chart shows, athletic apparel makers have seen pretty terrible stock price crashes YTD from 2Q24 onwards. The problem with Nike is that its P/E ratio is a bit high for my taste. Nevertheless, I've placed it on my watchlist and might initiate a position on Nike and maybe one other (to balance out). 

I don't know about Lululemon though, I have a vague impression it is yoga attire for ladies. I am not part of the crowd where people pay a lot of money for gym membership to 'dress up' and exercise, though I guess that would be a profitable market. 





No comments:

Post a Comment