Monday 28 November 2016

Mid-November update: Watching Grass Grow?


Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take your money and go to Las Vegas. - Paul Samuelson



I don't really have an update. Given the sideways nature of the Singapore market that swings between 2800-3000, there is really nothing to do but regular dollar cost averaging and making sure your portfolio is balanced. I have added STI ETF and CCT, that's about it. 



SRS
I opened my SRS account this year as I thought that it would be good to get some tax savings. I haven't topped up my SRS yet but will have to do so by December. Most likely to will top up to the max and buy STI ETF unless STI suddenly rallies to 3,000, in which case I would buy a retail bond like Fraser's Centrepoint. 


Post-US Election portfolio performance
My IBKR portfolio performance 9 Nov (election results) - 25 Nov is a mixed bag but overall positive (just made it into the green zone) thanks to performance of all the financial sector companies I hold as my IBKR portfolio has quite a lot of financials. 

The big drops were telecomms (BT/VOD), and Emerging Markets (EIMI). However, these are fundamentally sound and I should be doing regular top-ups soon... except that I also need to put a lot of money into SRS in December which can't be used for foreign shares.

Year to date, I am quite happy with the portfolio performance. I am not looking for super high returns since I am holding a large diversified portfolio. Will report at the end of the year.

I don't actually have the portfolio performance of my SG shares and its a bit difficult to track with all my constant small purchases using SCB. Maybe when I have the time I will slowly enter in all the data into the google finance spreadsheet.But since I buy STI index components with good dividends or REITs, I would guess that performance follows the STI, which is sideways but at least the dividends are ok and tax-free.




No comments:

Post a Comment